Mowing Down Pollution
In an effort to improve air quality and reduce air pollution produced by gasoline powered lawn and garden equipment, the Maricopa County Air Quality Department (MCAQD) in partnership with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, created the Mowing Down Pollution Program. This lawn and garden equipment replacement program, which is available to residents of Maricopa County, provides up to $200 in vouchers towards the purchase of a new electric or battery powered lawn mower and one lawn and garden device when the old working gasoline powered equipment is recycled.
The program encourages the use of clean electric or battery powered lawn and garden equipment rather than gasoline powered lawn and garden equipment to aid in the reduction of air pollution year round.
Commercial Program Coming Soon!
Development of a pilot commercial gasoline powered mower and garden equipment exchange program is in progress with an anticipated launch date in Spring 2022. Please complete our survey so we can better tailor the program to meet your needs.
Why Should You Replace Your Old Lawn and Garden Equipment?
This program gives YOU the power to aid in pollution reduction efforts. Electric and battery powered lawn and garden equipment is quieter and cleaner and eliminates the hassle of obtaining and using gasoline.
Am I Eligible to Receive a Voucher?
The Maricopa County Air Quality Department has defined several requirements to participate in the lawn and garden equipment replacement program. See if you qualify!
How the Program Works
Complete and submit an initial online voucher application below:
- Print and take the Drop-off Verification Form(s) and your working gasoline lawn mower and/or other lawn and garden devices to one of the five approved drop-off locations and have the form(s) signed and stamped by drop-off location staff.
- Submit your completed Drop-off Verification Form(s) to MCAQD.
- Receive a $150 voucher for an electric or battery powered lawn mower and/or a $50 voucher for a lawn and garden handheld device and redeem at a participating Home Depot location (in-store purchase required).
Participating Home Depot Locations
Who is Eligible to Receive a Voucher?
Program Requirements & Eligibility
- The participant must reside within Maricopa County.
- The participant must reside at the address identified on the application.
- The participant must currently own and operate a working gasoline lawn mower and/or other lawn and garden devices in Maricopa County.
- Limit one (1) lawn mower voucher per address every three (3) years and must be used to exchange for a zero-emission electric or battery powered lawn mower.
- Limit one (1) lawn and garden device voucher per address every three (3) years and must be used to exchange for a zero-emission electric or battery powered lawn and garden device (excluding a lawn mower).
- The new zero-emission electric or battery powered lawn mower and lawn and garden device must be purchased from select participating Home Depot locations in-store.
- Participant must deliver and relinquish a working gasoline powered lawn mower and/or other lawn and garden device to a Maricopa County Equipment Service Center or Transfer Station location.
- The $150 voucher and $50 voucher cannot be combined for a single purchase.
- The participant will be responsible for any payment more than the $150 and/or $50 voucher amount.
Purchasing Equipment Requirements
New lawn and garden equipment purchases must:
- Be a push or self-propelled lawn mower and/or other lawn and garden devices specified for residential use
- Be zero-emission electric, cordless or corded
- If cordless, must include battery and charger
Lawn equipment that is NOT ELIGIBLE:
- Manual reel mowers
- Riding lawn mowers
- Tractors used to pull mowing equipment
- Tow behind mowers