In an effort to improve air quality and reduce air pollution produced by gasoline powered lawn mowers, the Maricopa County Air Quality Department (MCAQD) in partnership with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, created the Mowing Down Pollution Program. This lawn mower replacement program, which is available to residents of Maricopa County, launched on June 4, 2018 and provides $150 vouchers towards the purchase of a new electric or battery powered lawn mower when a gasoline powered lawn mower is recycled.
The program encourages the use of clean electric or battery powered lawn mowers rather than gasoline powered lawn mowers to aid in the reduction of air pollution year round.
Why Should You Replace Your Old Lawnmower?
This program gives YOU the power to aid in pollution reduction efforts. Electric and battery powered lawn mowers are quieter and cleaner and eliminate the hassle of obtaining and using gasoline.
Am I Eligible to Receive a Voucher?
The Maricopa County Air Quality Department has defined several requirements to participate in the lawn mower replacement program. See if you qualify!
How the Program Works
- Complete and submit an initial online voucher application HERE.
- Print and take two Drop-off Verification Forms and your working gasoline lawn mower to one of the eight approved drop-off locations and have the forms signed and stamped by drop-off location staff
- Submit your completed Drop-off Verification Form to MCAQD
- Receive a $150 voucher and redeem at a participating Home Depot location (in-store purchase required)
Participating Home Depot Locations
Who is Eligible to Receive a Voucher?
Program Requirements & Eligibility
- The participant must reside within Maricopa County.
- The participant must reside at the address identified on the application.
- The participant must currently own and operate a working gasoline lawn mower in Maricopa County.
- Limit one (1) voucher per address.
- The new zero-emission electric or battery powered lawn mower must be purchased from select Home Depot locations in-store.
- Participant must deliver and relinquish a working gasoline powered lawn mower to a Maricopa County Equipment Service Center or Transfer Station location.
- The participant will be responsible for any payment more than the $150 voucher amount.
Purchasing Equipment Requirements
New lawn mower purchase must:
- Be a push or self-propelled mower specified for residential use
- Be zero-emission electric, cordless or corded
- If cordless, must include battery and charger
Lawn equipment that is NOT ELIGIBLE:
- Reel mowers
- Riding lawn mowers
- Tractors used to pull mowing equipment
- Tow behind mowers