In an effort to improve air quality and reduce air pollution produced by gasoline powered lawn mowers, the Maricopa County Air Quality Department (MCAQD) in partnership with the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, created the Mowing Down Pollution Program. This lawn mower replacement program, which is available to residents of Maricopa County, launches on June 4, 2018 and will provide $150 vouchers towards the purchase of a new electric or battery powered lawn mower when a gasoline powered lawn mower is recycled.
The program encourages the use of clean electric or battery powered lawn mowers rather than gasoline powered lawn mowers to aid in the reduction of air pollution year round.
Why should you replace your old lawnmower?
This program gives YOU the power to aid in pollution reduction efforts. Electric and battery powered lawn mowers are quieter and cleaner and eliminate the hassle of obtaining and using gasoline.
Who is eligible to receive a voucher?
Residential Program Requirements and Eligibility
- The participant must reside within Maricopa County.
- The participant must reside at the address identified on the application.
- The participant must currently own and operate a gasoline lawn mower in Maricopa County.
- Limit one (1) voucher per address.
- The new zero-emission electric or battery powered lawn mower must be purchased from select Home Depot locations in-store.
- Participant must deliver and relinquish a working gasoline powered lawn mower to a Maricopa County Equipment Service Center or Transfer Station location.
- The participant will be responsible for any payment more than the $150 voucher amount.
Purchasing Equipment Requirements
New lawn mower purchase must:
- Be a push or self-propelled mower specified for residential use
- Be zero-emission electric, cordless or corded
- If cordless, must include battery and charger
Lawn equipment that is NOT ELIGIBLE:
- Reel mowers
- Riding lawn mowers
- Tractors used to pull mowing equipment
- Tow-behind mowers
How the Program Works
- Complete an initial online voucher application
- Print and take the Drop-off Verification Form and your working gasoline lawn mower to one of the eight approved drop-off locations and have both sections of the form signed and stamped by drop-off location staff
- Submit your completed Drop-off Verification Form to MCAQD
- Receive a $150 voucher and redeem at a participating Home Depot location (in-store purchase required)
For questions or assistance, you may email MCAQD at email@example.com or call (602)506-LAWN.